The Benefits of Screening
Screening Tool Example
Screening tools are multi-question surveys typically completed by a caregiver immediately prior to well child visits. The provider then scores the caregiver's responses and determines whether the patient is a candidate for follow-up and referral.
The Edinburgh Postnatal Depression Scale (EPDS) is an example of such a screening tool. Download the EPDS form to get an idea of what the tool looks like and how it is filled out and scored.
Screening helps you achieve the best outcomes for the child, their family and community. It can result in access to services that help young brains develop and advance physical and emotional development in children who otherwise might lag behind.
Proper use of screening tools will help you:
- Identify children with developmental delays
- Refer children for services that will help them overcome those delays
- Help young brains develop and advance physical and emotional development
- Satisfy state and federal requirements
- Facilitate conversations with the family about developmental concerns and improve patient/family satisfaction
- Develop your business — better outcomes lead to word of mouth praise and patient referrals